Sunday, July 19, 2015

Love of Place and People

As I read through the article (See the AP Article "Ambassador" HERE) by Denis Gray, I couldn’t help but respect diplomat John Dean. A man who continues to feel so strongly for the country he left behind 40 years ago is a man who did not consider himself just an employee of the government, but considered himself attached to a particular place and a particular people. In other words there was, and still is, a sense of calling this man felt to Cambodia. I have heard arguments made that God does not place real callings on the hearts of his followers. Instead we are all called to “Go and do”, to make disciples, and to live a Christ-honoring life in a general sense. These things are all true. However, looking at my own life I realize how we all have to make particular choices about the “where” and the “how” of the life we lead for Christ. At the end of the day it takes a great deal of planning and effort to move to a location across the planet from one’s hometown. This type of planning requires a deep and long process of reflection and mutual discernment in the midst of a Christian community before plane tickets are purchased and a ministry plan is put in place. In other words, the cross-cultural worker has to ask himself/herself, “Is God leading me to do this? Is he calling me out from my home context into this other place?”. As you can see I do believe that God calls out the cross-cultural worker and that God lays cultures and peoples on a person’s heart.
Anya and I often feel burdened by the times when the culture around us seems to be going in a direction that is away from the truths and teachings of Jesus Christ. We cry tears when our host culture, Russia, cries tears and we rejoice when they rejoice. We understand diplomat Dean's feelings when he reflects on his inability to change the circumstances around him. Jesus Christ also wept on the hills overlooking Jerusalem. His concern and love for a nation is the type of commitment we hope God would place in our hearts.

Have you ever felt burdened for a people? Have you ever felt called to a particular place or time? May God help us all to take our eyes off of ourselves and to care deeply for those who are around us. Make it so Lord God and grant us the strength and wisdom to pray for those with whom we work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Chris and Anya,

Your newsletter led me to the Gray article and then this blog. The Gray article was heartbreaking. I admit, this piece of history was long forgotten by me -- the only residue being an association of the word Khmer Rouge with evil and horror.... I also appreciate your thoughtful reflection on the issue of calling. LIke you, I think that there are times The Lord puts a special calling on our lives, burdening our hearts with a specific people group or culture. It seems to me almost as if, through that calling, He graciously gives us a piece of His own heart, implanting a taste of His love, His compassion and longing for this little part of His creation. I would imagine in situations like yours, as cross-cultural workers it is also a gift He bestows to help get you through those hard times. For me anyway, it is rather easy to give up on the things that are my own ideas, but an entirely different thing when I have the sense that God has given me the work to do. It also reminds me who to go to for help -- the work is truly HIs, not my own.

I've also been pondering the issue of compassion a lot lately, and your blog revived that for me as you wrote about your compassion for Russia and the people you work with. Before Jesus healed people, Scripture often records that He was moved with compassion. My own heart, in contrast, often feels so empty and apathetic. But when He tenderizes my heart, and instills His love, His compassion for others, wow... everything changes. My prayers are different for sure... Just have this feeling that there is so much more to compassion than we realize.

Thank you for your blog and update! Spending time in prayer for you today.
Julia B.

Followers